Sunday, March 27, 2011

Reference Sunday: Meadowlands: A Wetlands Survival Story by Thomas F Yezerski

I am a proud New Jersyan!  I know that sometimes we are stereotyped and given a bad rap ~ but we are not all like what is seen on TV.   I usually try not to write about local stories but sometimes a local story can be good for the global environment.   

Meadowlands: A Wetlands Survival Story
Meadowlands: A Wetlands Survival Story by Thomas F Yezerski is the kind of local or regional book that has a universal appeal.    Through the years I have seen personally how the wetlands in the Meadowlands has been built up.   I was always amazed how  swamp land could be used to build on.   As a child I was afraid  if people walked in it they would sink and never be seen again.   As I grew older I felt bad that this was how the world perceived my state and thought that New Jersey was just one big swamp.  New Jersey has beautiful parts to it too, I can attest to that.   Finding this book has given me hope that someday this portion of my state will someday reclaim the beauty that it once was.   I appreciate  Mr Yezerski's efforts in explaining the history of this area from it's beginnings to now.   I not only love the historical detail but the beautiful illustrations as well.   It makes me proud that someone realizes that this place, a place most people write off,  is still important and alive.   This book is not just for New Jersyans but for anyone who loves the environment and wants to do something to preserve it.   While this is a picture book for children ages 5-8 years old I truly believe older children and adults can learn something valuable in reading it.   A must have title I truly recommend.   

No comments:

Post a Comment