Monday, December 26, 2011

The Sigh by Marjane Satrapi


The Sigh written and illustrated by Marjane Satrapi is a beautiful fable that is more than just a story for  young readers.   I was struck by the cover which is so eye catching.   When I read the first few pages I was reminded of the classic fairy tales and fables that I love.  It is described as being a graphic novel.  The book does have many beautiful illustrations that advance the story but it doesn't  seem like a graphic novel in the truest form. The illustrations had a familiar feel to me so I did some research and realized I know  the author from her Academy Award Nominated film called Persepolis.  This film  is based on her book (a memoir)  of the same name.  I had never seen the film but remember seeing reviews and previews of it when it first came out.

  Marjane Satrapi  is a wonderful storyteller who immediately captures the readers imagination.   This would be a great book for children and parents to read together snuggled up by the fire on a cold winter's night.

No comments:

Post a Comment