Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Flashback Tuesday: The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare

Yesterday the ALA Youth Media Awards were announced.   For that reason I thought I would recommend personal favorite that won the Newbery Award back in 1959.  I don't usually talk about young readers or even teen books but every once in awhile I like to change it up a bit.  



The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare is a wonderful book that  brings back fond memories of long summer days and reading in the backyard.   The book cover I am showing is the exact book cover I had when I first read it.   The covers may have changed through the years but the story is timeless.   I was enthralled with the character of Kit and how she struggled to find her place in a new world that was so different from the world she grew up in. I loved the character of Mercy who even though she is disabled in body she was strong in mind and spirit.   Characters that are just as relevant today as they were when they were created.    This is the way I liked to learn history.  I always find it is easier to learn history through historical fiction.     Of course I also loved the fact that it was a bit of a love story but that is just the "girl" in me.   As I said so much of the story is applicable to our lives in the 21st century.  Even today people are suspicious of anyone who is different.  It takes a courageous person to stand up for truth and do what is right.   This is a classic and award winning book for a reason,  beautifully written and memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment