Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Flashback Tuesday: The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge by Hildegarde H. Swift illus by Lynd Ward

In honor of the George Washington Bridge's 80th birthday I thought I would recommend a favorite book from childhood.  


The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge by Hildegarde H. Swift and illustrated by Lynd Ward is a classic book from 1942 that tells of a little lighthouse that was built before the GWB was even thought of.  When the bridge comes along it overshadows the little lighthouse but in the end the lighthouse saves the day.   It is based on a real lighthouse that can still be seen below the great bridge.   When I was little we used to take the GWB to my Grandmother's house in NYC.   I remember trying to strain my eyes to see if I could see the Little Red Lighthouse....for visitors to NYC this would be a great unique place to try and find and see.....a true piece of Americana.   Click on the link above to find visitor information....before you go make sure you and your children read the book...it is inspirational and heartwarming.

No comments:

Post a Comment