Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain Introduction by Darren Shan

About a year ago I was shopping (well really just window shopping) when I came across a set of books that looked old but were just repackaged new editions of classics.   It always amazes me how some stores can get so creative about what they sell.  It is fun to find books in unusual places.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain with an introduction by Darren Shan was the first title I picked up from the display. As it is Mark Twain's birthday or should I say Samuel Clemons birthday I thought it was a good time to suggest these books.   I loved the feel of the book and the cover art.   When I opened it up and noticed the beautiful endpapers I felt like I had found a treasure.   It may look old and retro but it has a freshness about it that begs to be bought, read and placed on a shelf to be enjoyed for years to come.  There are 8 books in total repackaged in this beautiful manner....each with a distinct cover with endpapers and introductions by noted authors and illustrators.  

Here are the other titles from Puffin Classics that are sure to be a perfect gift for anyone this holiday season:

Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame, introduction by Brian Jacques
The Adventures of Robin Hood by Roger  Green, introduction by John Boyne
The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett, introduction by Sophie Dahl
Black Beauty by Anna Sewell, introduction by Meg Rosoff
The Call of the Wild by Jack London, introduction by Melvin Burgess
Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie, introduction by Tony DiTerlizzi


and finally because it is also L.M. Montgomery's birthday (two literary giants on the same day) an all time favorite of my childhood:

Anne of Green Gables introduction by Lauren Child~ I just love this cover too!








As I said these would make beautiful gifts that will be treasured forever....

No comments:

Post a Comment