Thursday, November 10, 2011

Balloons Over Broadway by Melissa Sweet

Thanksgiving is two weeks from today.   It seems like the years are going by so fast.   When I was a kid I loved watching the Thanksgiving day parade...the balloons always amazed me.   On my bucket list is going to seeing the balloons inflated the night before Thanksgiving.   This seems more exciting then the parade itself.

Balloons Over Broadway written and illustrated by Melissa Sweet tells the story of Tony Sarg a German immigrant who was also a puppeteer who worked for Macy's in NYC and decorated their windows.   When the annual parade decided to take out the live animals that were usually in the parade, Mr Sarg developed the idea of using balloons.   This is a special book with wonderfully rich illustrations that is a great way to get into the Thanksgiving holiday spirit.    I wish I had this book when I was a kid because I always wondered who got the idea to make these huge and incredible balloons. This is a great picture book biography that is totally easy to read.   I have always been a fan of Melissa Sweet's illustrations and this book is no exception.   A truly must have Thanksgiving story book that should be read every year.

No comments:

Post a Comment