Saturday, May 15, 2010

Happy Birthday Paul Zindel!

                            
The Pigman

I don't usually write about Young Adult or Teen novels but I couldn't let today pass without doing homage to the great Paul Zindel.   I remember reading The Pigman when I was younger and how it had such an effect on me.   It was one of the first times I realized that not all book have endings that are neat and tidy.  It was such a sad book.   It is a perennial on school reading lists which it should be.   It is a must read for any teenager or younger child to read.   It is a powerful way to explain how what we do and say can effect other people.   It taught me that words and actions can be harmful when we don't think of consequences.  I have always thought that The Pigman's Legacy was a book of redemption.   Wouldn't it be great if we could fix what had have broken....lessons learned are powerful.

Paul Zindel was great at really knowing his characters.   I remember watching his playThe Effects of Gamma Rays on Man in the Moon Marigolds when I was little.   My sister played the role of Tillie in her college production.  At the time I didn't understand it but as I grew older I realized that this too was a powerful commentary on how we should treat the people around us.  

I am aware that Mr Zindel's books get banned for language and such but let's face it that is only because he wrote characters who are real....they should not be overlooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment