Monday, February 17, 2014

Books For Presidents Day~

For Presidents Day I thought I would recommend one new book one  and older book for kids to read.  The first book is an introduction for a young child about Abraham Lincoln while the second is a a great book that talks about some early American icons including a President and to be honest is the kind of book an adult will enjoy too.


I Am Abraham Lincoln by Brad Meltzer and illustrated by Christopher Eliopoulos is the third picture book biography for young children in a series that so far includes I am Amelia Earhart and I am Rosa Parks.  I like the series because they make history accessible to the youngest among us but not in a way that is patronizing.  The Abraham Lincoln book will hopefully be the first of many stories children will read about the most popular United States President.  For ages 4-8.





John, Paul, George & Ben written and illustrated by Lane Smith is one of my favorite Lane Smith books.  While it is a story about John Hancock, Paul Revere, George Washington and Ben Franklin most adults will get the wink to a certain British band we all know and love.  I have always loved how Lane Smith can create a book not just for children but one that grown ups will like.   This is also a great book to introduce early American icons to a younger audience....One of the best parts is the section at the end called "Taking Liberties".... it goes story by story and tells whether it is true or false....a great little teaching aid. This book is also intended for 4-8 year olds but I am sure an older child would learn just as much....


No comments:

Post a Comment