Sunday, September 25, 2016

Ollie's Odyssey by William Joyce

It has been a long time since I have been enthralled with a book.  I have always loved William Joyce, he is one of my favorite author/illustrators.  His range is amazing.  When I stumbled across today's book I was ---as I said above---enthralled.  This is the type of book that would have excited me as a child.  It has familiarity, adventure and excitement all wrapped up with great illustrations.  I loved the idea of this book.  I am sure others have seen the similarities to another childhood classic--The Velveteen Rabbit....but this book goes beyond making a "toy real" type story...it takes that sentiment to a whole new level.  In this day and age children like more of an adventure.  So Mr Joyce gives them that......at the same time giving validity to a child's love of a favorite toy.

Ollie's Odyssey by William Joyce is the charming and exciting tale of a child's connection to a beloved toy.  The magic of that one toy to foster a child's imagination.  This is a beginning chapter book for young readers.  It would also make a wonderful read aloud.  I can see it being read in school one chapter at a time.  I loved Ollie and I loved Billy....I also loved the villains...scary but not too scary. William Joyce has done it again.  He has brought us wonderful new characters to spend time with again and again....

No comments:

Post a Comment