Thursday, November 5, 2020

The Couch Potato by Jory John illus by Pete Oswald




This has been a long strange year.  Back in March my work shut down and I didn’t go to work for over 5 months. I was able to do some small stuff at home but not much. I thought this would have been a perfect time to work on my blog.  Sadly I didn’t do much of anything all the time I was off except eat too much and watch a lot of bad TV. One of the reasons I loved today’s book is because I was pretty much a “couch potato” the whole time I wasn’t working. It wasn’t until I was about to go back to work that I started going out for walks and do things around my house. This is why The Couch Potato resonated with me so well.  
 
 
The Couch Potato by Jory John and Illustrated by Pete Oswald is the perfect book for these uncertain times.  This duo of Jory John and Pete Oswald has totally touched a nerve with a book that is so current and fresh. 
 
 
I love the illustrations, which are charming and expressive. The book is about a potato that loves sitting on his couch watching shows and playing video games. He actually reminds me of my little nephew who loves his games. But as always there is an ulterior motive in this duo’s stories. This story reminds children (and possibly some adults) that while it is ok to spend time relaxing and sitting on the couch it is good to go out and experience the natural world from time to time.  I don’t know if this book was in the works before so many were forced to stay home but their timing is perfect.  This is a great book to read to little ones to encourage them to go outside and have fun.  

2 comments: