Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

I know today's book is not necessarily a new title but I just finished reading it and wanted to share my thoughts.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs is considered a Teen Novel.  I think it is much more than that.  I had heard about it but never read it.  Most recently learned that there is a sequel which I hope to read soon.  There is also a film being made with Tim Burton directing.  I stumbled across it in the library and at the last minute added it to my stack of books to check out.

I loved this book.  This is the kind of book I would have read and loved when I was a child/teenager.  The story starts out like any other teenage angst kind of story but quickly develops into the best kind fantasy story.  The kind that makes a reader feel that it could be true.  The characters are wonderful, I really loved the main character Jacob because he sounded like a typical teenage boy.

A long time ago I was part of a panel for the Children's Book Council called Not Just For Children Anymore.  As part of the panel we had to read a selection of children's books ~mostly young readers and Teen novels.  Once we were finished we then set out to decide whether or not "grown-ups" would enjoy them as well as children.  This book would have been on top of my list.  I really loved how Mr Riggs wove his story around an array of old photographs.  The photographs themselves are so interesting to look at that I  too would have wondered how they were made and if they were real.

I used to know someone who loved to take photographs.  He had rigged his own darkroom in a small bathroom in the house.  He also liked to experiment with his photos.  I remember one photo of what appeared to be  a young girl with a small person standing on her hand.  To create this illusion he said was all in the development. When I saw the photos in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children I was reminded of the photos I saw when I was young.  Like I said I have always been fascinated by old photos.....they are glimpse into the past.  I wish this book had been around when I was young because it would have been one of my favorites.  I can't wait to read the sequel Hollow City.  These are must have books for anyone who loves a bit of fantasy tinged with spookiness....

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the great review, Rosemary! It has a great title. I am fascinated by old photos too.

    ReplyDelete