Friday, January 15, 2016

Happy New Year! (a bit late)


Happy 2016!  This promises to be a big year for children's books.  I had all good intentions of writing a blog post earlier but so many things got in the way.  First there was the holidays and then I got a wicked cold.  It seems that while I might like a warmer winter it doesn't like me.  Plus and more importantly I finally got the list of books I need to read for the 2nd round of Poetry judging for Cybils.   I am on my last book...such good reads. I wish I could talk about them now but I need to wait.  I promise to write about all of  them when my duties are over.  It's going to be hard to pick just one book to win.

Congratulations too to this years Newbery and Caldecott winners.  How exciting that a picture book has won the Newbery.  I also love the fact that it received a Caldecott Honor.  I have always felt that picture book writers don't get enough love.  Words are just as important as pictures and they should both be celebrated!

I am also loving the fact that I gave the book Waiting by Kevin Henkes (one of this years Caldecott Honor books)  to my great nephew Benjamin for Christmas.  I know he will love it when he gets a bit older....right now he is busy saying "hi" and "baby" when we video chat.

One of the books I've read that is not a requirement  was the new Kwame Alexander poetry novel Booked that is coming out in a few months.  I don't usually recommend books that have not been published yet but thought I would make an exception.  I read it because I was told there was a mention of my sister Ann's book All the Broken Pieces in it.  I am glad I did.  I can see why he won the Newbery award....he is a wonderful writer who really understands how kids act and react. It is sure to do well when it is finally published.  I can't wait.

So Happy New Year and Happy Reading----until the next time---hopefully sooner rather than later.




No comments:

Post a Comment