Monday, September 7, 2015

Waiting by Kevin Henkes

                      Waiting written and illustrated by Caldecott medalist Kevin Henkes



It is that time of year again.  They summer is over and it is back to school time.  It seems like schools have been in back to school mode for weeks.  The school in my neighborhood starts tomorrow.

I have always been a very big fan of Kevin Henkes. What I love about his books is that they always seem different and new.  When I saw today's book I loved it just from the cover alone....when I realized it was a written and illustrated by Kevin Henkes I loved it even more. His books always have a comforting feel to them.

Waiting is the perfect read aloud book for a child. Most children I know have an impatience about them.  When my niece and nephews were small I would always tell them they needed to be patient.  They were always excited about something and wanted immediate gratification all the time.  I would play a game with them to see how long they could sit still. Needless to say it wasn't very long. They always grew tired of "waiting".

I wish I had this book to read to them. It is such a soothing and reassuring book filled with hope and expectation that I would have loved to read it to them over and over again.  I can see myself someday reading this to my great nephew sitting on a cozy couch.  This is also a perfect read aloud/story time book and an every night bedtime story. It is a must have new book for any age.  Mr Henkes has done it again writing an instant classic.


No comments:

Post a Comment