Sunday, January 29, 2012

Reference Sunday: What Color Is My World? The Lost History of African-American Inventors by Kareem Abdul-Jabar with Raymond Obstfeld illustrated by Ben Boos & A.G. Ford


What Color is My World? The Lost History of African American Inventors by Kareem Abdul-Jabar with Raymond Obstfeld and illustrated by Ben Boos & A.G. Ford is a great new book that tells the stories of some unsung American Inventors.   It is told in a picture book format with a set of twins to guide the story along.   I had no idea that Kareem Abdul-Jabar was such a history buff. I was aware of him but I didn't really know much about him.  I did a little research and found out he loves history and is an accomplished author. So in my mind this not just another celebrity book.  I love the illustrations too....very beautiful and accessible.

   I have always been very curious and would have loved to have this book as a child.   The story follows a set of twins who banter back in forth and keep the story moving.  I like the idea of taking fiction and wrapping it around non-fiction, that way it doesn't seem like a history book.   So many inventors I never knew about which is always the best part of learning history.....discovering something new.   This is a great book for the inquisitive child in your life....a perfect way to teach without "teaching".....

(Oh and I think it might inspire some children to become engineers especially since it tells how  the Super Soaker Squirt gun was invented by Lonnie Johnson a nuclear engineer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment