Sunday, February 26, 2012

Reference Sunday: Words Set Me Free by Lesa Cline-Ransome illutrted by James E. Ransome

A few weeks ago I wrote about a book the book Love Twelve Miles Long .  It tells the story of Frederick Douglas and how his Mother influenced his life.   When my sister read my post she introduced me to another picture book about Frederick Douglas written by her friend Lisa Cline-Ransome.   I am always amazed when two books are published at about the same time on the same subject without each taking anything away from  the other.  


Words Set Me Free by Lesa Cline-Ransome and illustrated by her husband James E. Ransome also tells the story of the great Abolitionist Frederick Douglas, only this time it encompasses more of his life  not just one part.   In this beautifully illustrated and written picture book we not only learn about where he comes from we learn how he knew from early on that by learning to read and educate himself would he ever be more than just a slave.  I have always been a fan of James Ransome's art but I am also a fan of his wife's writing....how wonderful to have such a team to bring us such wonderful books.   I recommend this book as a companion piece to Glenda Armand's book....they are meant for roughly the same age.   I also recommend it as a book to show children that education and reading are important and can truly enrich their lives.   A must have picture book.....

No comments:

Post a Comment