Saturday, March 10, 2012

BabyLit board books.....

It seems like I haven't posted in ages.   Life certainly gets in the way.   I discovered today's books because I was looking for something different to write about.    I came across these really cute and eclectic board books.   At first I thought it was kind of silly to make board books out of classic literature....but after looking at them I find them quite charming.   Are they for everyone?  Probably not....but I know of a few parents who would think they are a hoot and fun to read to their kids.

BabyLit from Gibbs Smith publishing has four titles to date:


Alice in Wonderland ,  Jane EyrePride & PrejudiceRomeo & Juliet are written by Jennifer Adams and illustrated by Alison Oliver.   They are by no means a retelling of he classic novels but take images from the stories to teach colors and counting. When I was a buyer of toddler books I would have loved them.   I also knew that they wouldn't be something I could place in all stores.  These clever little books would be put in select stores because they are part of a niche market.   I personally love the illustrations and since I have read all four stories I would understand the images that are presented.  I think they are a great novelty gift for a new mother, especially if she is a reader and lover of literature.   I just think they are a fun way to introduce classics to kids.  

1 comment: