Saturday, April 7, 2012

Forgive Me, I Meant to Do It: False Apology Poems by Gail Carson Levine and illustrated by Matthew Cordell

I can't believe it is April already...spring is such a wonderful time of year.   In honor of poetry month I thought I would start out with a really fun new book by a well loved author.  I have  always liked Gail Carson Levine.  She has a way of stating things in the most sardonic way.  Her new book is no exception.

Forgive Me, I meant to Do It: False Apology Poems by Gail Carson Levine and illustrated wonderfully by Matthew Cordell is a book of poems based on the classic poem "This is Just To Say" by William Carlos Williams.   She even goes so far to credit him by including the poem with an explanation at the end of he book.

Normally I like to teach children to be nice.   I think the best thing we can teach kids today is to be kind to one another.   That being said I know that children tend to have a bit of a mean streak about them.   How many times have we demanded they apology to someone knowing full well that they may say the words....but don't really mean it.   I think this book is a great way to show them we are on to them and that we understand.

 I love how she uses fairy tale and nursery rhyme characters that all kids can recognize, since they aren't real non-apologies then there really is no harm in them.   Knowing that this is a great teachable book, Harpercollins has created a fantastic downloadable Teachers Guide for use in the classroom.

As much as this a great book for teachers to read to kids, I know quite a few adults who would get a kick out of the poems.  The illustrations remind me of Edward Gorey and his  "The Gashlycrumb Tinies"---and I know of one friend who would appreciate that.

So this is a great new book to help celebrate Poetry Month...albeit in a fun and sarcastic way....

1 comment:

  1. Thanks as usual for the good tip!
    Can't wait to read it :-D

    ReplyDelete