Saturday, April 28, 2012

Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms by Lissa Evans

The old saying goes "you can't tell a book by it's cover" which is true....but in the book world it is the cover that makes a person stop and take notice.    Sometimes I see a cover makes me stop in my tracks and I must find out what the book is about.   Many times I have been disappointed to find the cover was the best thing about the book.   Not so for today's recommendation.

Horten's Miraculous Mechanisms Magic, Mystery & a Very Strange Adventure by Lissa Evans was originally published in the UK.   I am not sure what the UK cover looked like but the US cover drew me in and made me want to take a look.   I was so happy I did.    This story of a little boy who wants to find his mysterious uncle is the kind of book I would have loved to read as a child.   I love the quirky characters that I liked as soon as they were introduced to me.  It has an old fashioned feeling even though it is a very modern book.   It will appeal to children who love magic and mystery like I did when I was young.   Heck it is the kind of book I like to read now.  This is a wonderful adventure story that keeps the reader yearning for more.   It would be a great book to read on vacation or curled up on the couch on a rainy afternoon.   I can't wait to read more adventures of Stuart and his friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment