Friday, September 21, 2012

Goldilocks and Just One Bear by Leigh Hodgkinson

Who doesn't like sequels?   Sometimes sequels are not as good as the original but sometimes they can be a pleasant surprise as in today's book:
  

Goldilocks and the Just One Bear written and illustrated by Leigh Hodkinson is a sequel that totally surprised me.   I have mentioned before and will probably mention again that I love fractured fairy tales.    This takes that idea to a new level.  When I saw this book in the library I was intrigued by the title and the cover art.   I knew it was going to be a "new" version of the fairy tale Goldilocks and the Three Bears.  As I was reading it I realized it wasn't just a new version but the story of what happened to Goldilocks when she grew up. I also recognized the illustrations as being similar to  the Boris books I like so much and was to discover it is the same author. I love the expression's on the bear's face--priceless.  This is a really fun story to read aloud.   I think this is the perfect story time book or bedtime book.   It is the kind of book that is just read straight through but discussed as it is read.   I like all the comparisons to the original fairy tale and the little twist at the end.   Not a surprising twist but one a child would understand.   It really is a clever book.   A must have for the classroom or child's library.   


No comments:

Post a Comment