Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Flashback Tuesday: I Miss You Every Day by Simms Taback

Today we got the very sad news of the death of Caldecott winning author/illustrator Simms Taback.  It made me think of all the wonderful books he has given us.   I know he won a Caldecott for Joseph Had a Little Overcoat --- which is a wonderful book but I wanted to suggest a book I love.   

I Miss You Every Day written and illustrated by Simms Taback is a sweet and whimsical story of a little girl who misses someone so much she decides to mail herself to them.   I always thought this book would be  great to read aloud.   It has a great rhythm to it that makes it perfect for story time.   I love the endless possibilities for crafts and discussion.   We have all experienced someone we love being far away....this wonderful book helps us understand we are not alone in missing them.   It is ironic that this should be my favorite Simms Taback book as we will miss him very much.Thank you Mr Taback for bringing the world so much beauty and joy.  You will be missed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment