Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The 13th Floor: A Ghost Story by Sid Fleischman illus Peter Sis



Last week Newbery Winner Sid Fleischman, who won for the Whipping Boy, died at the age of 90. What an incredible man he was. Everyone always talks about his winning title but he was so much more than that one book. I personally loved the Carnival of Animals but sadly that does not seem to be readily available anymore. I loved it because they were tall tales that made me laugh. Great illustrations too.


The 13th Floor: A Ghost Story by Sid Fleischman & illus by Peter Sis is my next favorite book of his. I loved this book because it combines so many of my favorite elements: Ghosts, intrigue, adventure and pirates. Well I am not so much a pirate fan as I like ghosts but pirates can be fun too. I always liked the main character and he seemed like a real kid. Mr Fleischman was very good at writing real characters. This was part of his gift. The wonderful thing about great authors is that they are never truly forgotten. This is a perfect book for children who like adventure with a little mystery and fantasy thrown in. Mr Fleischman will be missed but his legacy lives on.

No comments:

Post a Comment