Thursday, March 18, 2010

Bag in the Wind by Ted Kooser Illus Barry Root


I came across this beautiful book that has been recently published and was immediately drawn to its illustrations. I also loved the title.


Bag in the Wind by Ted Kooser (former poet laureate) & illus by Barry Root is the story of a plastic bag that flies away from a landfill and the places it lands.


Barry Root's soft illustrations perfectly match the beautiful words of Ted Kooser. They illustrations enhance the words and make this a very visual book. For example the line that says: A perfectly good bag, the color of the skin of a yellow onion, with two holes with handles ~ is such a wonderfully descriptive line, simple but vivid.


Haven't we all seen plastic or paper bags floating through the air. I know I have always wondered where it is going and where it has been. Now I know.


This is a great book that talks about reusing and recycling with out being too heavy handed. It is a soft sell that makes us think. I think it is perfect for young children as well as older to help them understand how everything in the world eventually connects together.


No comments:

Post a Comment