Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Flashback Tuesday: The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams


I thought the perfect book to really start this blog up again would be one of my Mom's favorites. I mentioned the other day that she loved this book, what I didn't know then but found out today is that it was first published in 1922, the year of her birth. Now I know it is the right book to write about on Flashback Tuesday.


The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams & illus by William Nicholson is the classic story of a toy that becomes so loved it finally becomes real. There are many different editions but this is the one that we had and that reminds me of my mother.


When I was in the stores it always bothered me that we got numerous copies of this book for our Easter displays. I mean really just because it has a rabbit on it should not automatically mean Easter. Besides the book opens on Christmas morning when the boy gets the Velveteen Rabbit in his stocking. I have come to feel that it doesn't matter when this book is read, it is a must have title for any child or adult. How many of us had a toy that was our favorite and that through the years has become so worn that it really should be thrown away. My oldest nephew Michael had his "Cholly" and my little Nephew Alex has his Paddington. They both no longer need to have it at their side constantly but I know they are somewhere nearby for comfort. I myself had my Raggedy Ann & Andy dolls that had seen better days.
My Mother loved this book, I loved this book too because there should always be a little magic in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment