Sunday, May 23, 2010

Reference Sunday: The Boy Who Invented TV: The Story of Philo Farnsworth by Kathleen Krull Illus by Greg Couch

The Boy Who Invented TV: The Story of Philo Farnsworth


I know it will be hard to believe that a person who writes a book blog and has worked in books all her life was known as the "TV Kid" when she was little.   Even today if a TV question comes up my family usually defers to me.  I have always loved television.   To me television is an extension of books~just don't tell my library friends that.  I have always been about "the story".   I love a good story with good characters.  The difference between books and television in my mind is that with TV I can just let the story move over me....with no work on my part.  A good engrossing TV show relaxes me like a good cup of tea.  When I read a book I am actually being more active and present and it as invigorating as exercise.

When I was young books and TV were my constant companions....when I got tired of sitting around the house I would go out and "play"---which usually meant just bringing a book outside and reading.   I still love both activities.   Take tonight for instance, I cannot go anywhere because it is the series finale of "Lost". "Lost" is an example of good storytelling with great characters.  I have been known to stick with a TV show even if I know the writing isn't up to par because I like the concept or the characters....it is like when I read a book and get a connection to the story than it sticks with me.

I always wondered when I was young who invented TV....I tried to find the answer  but  there never was a definitive one.   Years later I did find the name "Philo Farnsworth" but still couldn't find much information about him.  Just the other day I saw this great picture book by the prolific author Kathleen Krull and finally all my questions were answered.

The Boy Who Invented TV  by Kathleen Krull and illustrated by Greg Couch is a great picture book biography that explains how an inquisitive little boy who loved all things mechanical pretty much changed the world.   It shows kids what the world was like before television came into being and how the world lived.   I know that not all of television is wonderful and I think we do watch too much of it....but in moderation it can be a marvelous thing.   The illustrations are great too ---I love the color scheme.  I also love the fact that the illustrators name is "Couch"~ if you get my meaning~.

This is a great book for all the inquisitive minds out in the world....a must have,  at least for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment