Friday, July 16, 2010

Doodlebug: A Novel in Doodles by Karen Romano Young


Doodlebug: A Novel in Doodles

Storytelling comes in many forms.   There is the direct story told in prose, there are verse novels and comic book style stories.   I have always found it hard to read comic books.   I am a much more straightforward type of person.   That being said my nephews love to read books like the Diary of a Wimpy Kid and are much more in tune with that kind of writing.   Just when I think no one can come up with a new way to tell a story, I get the surprise of my life.  

Doodlebug: A Novel in Doodles by Karen Romano Young is a  great new book that kids will love to read.    She has written  a wonderful novel about a girl named 'Dodo' and her new life in a new town and new school.   I was immediately captivated by this character and the way she expressed her feelings.   I felt as if I was reading her diary.   It is a fun and sweet book that  quickly gets the reader involved in the story. I would recommend this book to almost anyone but especially to kids who are considered "reluctant" readers.   

(I also love the title----cleverest one I have read in a long time.)   

No comments:

Post a Comment