Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Flashback Tuesday: Meanwhile Back at the Ranch by Trinka Hakes Noble illus by Tony Ross

Today's book is not the book I originally wanted to write about.   I was going to do a Steven Kellogg title but that will have to wait because I realized that I had forgotten about one of my all time favorite books.


Meanwhile Back at the Ranch (Reading Rainbow)


Meanwhile Back At the Ranch by Trinka Hakes Noble and illustrated by Tony Ross has to be one of the funniest books ever written. I used to love to read this during story times ---which always tended to be difficult because I would be laughing so hard I could barely get through.  I love the expressions on the faces of the farmer and his wife as things go on around them.   It was also great to read aloud with because it is quite the audience participation kind of a book.   I loved having the kids scream: "Meanwhile Back at the Ranch....."  when it was appropriate.   I am sorry to say that I never realized that I had met the author a few years ago.   She did a historical picture for Sleeping Bear Press as did my sister Ann.... I met my her and my  sister after they both had dinner with their publisher and we rode the train together afterwards.   She was really sweet and very genuine....I only wished I had realized how many books of hers I loved.   

Anyway this is the perfect read aloud for a group of kids....I wouldn't recommend for a bedtime story because the laughter might just wind a child up more....and I mean that in a good way.   A perfect classic that should be on every child's shelf.  

No comments:

Post a Comment