Thursday, October 10, 2013

Goldilocks and the Three Bears by James Marshall

Today is the wonderful illustrator James Marshall's birthday.  He has so many books that can be talked about that it is always hard to pick a favorite.  Most know him because of his marvelous story of two friends George and Martha.  So instead of talking about those books I want to recommend my favorite:



Goldilocks and the Three Bears retold and illustrated by James Marshall.....

I love this book because it isn't just a staid retelling of an old tale but because Mr Marshall injects so much humor and character into the story.  Goldilocks is not the sweet innocent girl that we grew up reading about.  She is more of a rebel and just a little bit "naughty".  I loved reading this to kids because they would really giggle at her antics.  The illustrations are priceless as Mr Marshall gives each characters such great expressions.  No wonder it received a Caldecott Honor for illustrations.  This is a must have book for every child's bookcase.  

1 comment:

  1. I knew I recognized that cover illustration - James Marshall also did the artwork for one of my favorites, Miss Nelson Is Missing! I absolutely ADORED that book as a kid; I'm mad at myself now for giving my copy away. That book was awesome.

    ReplyDelete