Thursday, October 24, 2013

My First Kafka: Runaways, Rodents, and Giant Bugs By Matthue Roth, illustrated by Rohan Daniel Eason

I so love being surprised by the unexpected.  I got to the bookstore the other day and there sitting on the counter was one of the  most curious books I have seen in a long time.  A Kafka story done as a picture book.  I couldn't help but laugh but then realized it was real and that it was meant to be taken seriously.  At least I think it is.....

My First Kafka: Runaways, Rodents, and Giant Bugs by Matthue Roth and illustrated by Rohan Daniel Eason has three stories Kafka stories adapted for children.  Like I mentioned above, I thought it was a joke but realized when I read it that I was mistaken.  The stories are definitely written for children although they are a bit disturbing.  While I am not sure I would give this to the most sensitive children I know, there are few who would revel in it's macabre stories.  That being said I know far more grown-ups who will love this....especially a friend who loves anything Edward Gorey as the illustrations are very reminiscent of his art.  A great introduction to something so classic....

1 comment: