Sunday, August 1, 2010

Reference Sunday: Face to Face with Whales by Flip Nicklin

I was trying to decide what to write about today when I came across the fact that today is Herman Melville's birthday.   I didn't think I could write about Moby Dick because even though it is a classic, it is a bit old for my audience.   His birthday did get me thinking about 'whales'....and I remembered that a whale had recently crashed into a boat.   The images were awesome...especially because no one got hurt.   I thought then I would recommend a book about whales.
Face to Face with Whales (Face to Face with Animals)

Face to Face with Whales by Flip Nicklin seems like the perfect book to talk about on Herman Melville's birthday.   The cover image for the paperback edition coming out in a few weeks is so reminiscent of the whale incident and the boat a few weeks ago that I couldn't pass it up.    I don't usually recommend a book that is not out yet but as this is out in hardcover I thought I could make an exception.  This is a truly wonderful book that really illustrates the beauty that is a whale.   The photographs are incredible.   National Geographic books always have spectacular photographs but this book takes it up a notch. This is a great book for the explorer in your life....the images are wonderful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment