Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Flashback Tuesday: Fields of Fury: The American Civil War by James McPherson

Today is the 150th Anniversary of the attack at Fort Sumter, SC which basically started the American Civil War.  Today's book is a great way to reflect on this critical time in our history.

Fields of Fury: The American Civil War
Fields of Fury: The American Civil War by James McPherson is a wonderful and concise book that explains the whys and the wherefores of this major event in American history.   I loved this book when I first saw it because I felt that it made this conflict totally accessible to children.   The Civil War has always been a complicated story to tell.   I find it amazing that even today people argue as to what the real causes were for this war.    This book, while written for children, is actually good for older people too.   I loved the artwork and the photographs which really bring this historical moment to life.    I think it is a must have on anyone's shelf....not just children.    

No comments:

Post a Comment