Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Flashback Tuesday: The Moon Lady by Amy Tan illus by Gretchen Schields

Yesterday was the start of the Moon Festival....a yearly harvest festival celebrated by the Chinese and Vietnamese people.   I always liked this festival because I have always wanted to taste a Moon Cake.  

The Moon Lady (Aladdin Picture Books)
The Moon Lady by Amy Tan and illustrated by Gretchen Schields is a wonderful book to read during this time of the year.   I have always been a fan of Amy Tan's book The Joy Luck Club and remembered this story from that book.    It was only natural for her to tell that same story in a children's version.   Besides being a great introduction to Chinese culture for children it is also just a great picture book to read with your children. It really shows children that they need to look within themselves to make wishes come true.   I love the illustrations too....they remind me of intricate tapestries I have only seen in museums.  

No comments:

Post a Comment