Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Flashback Tuesday: Rap a Tap Tap: Here's Bojangles, Think of That by Leo & Diane Dillon

Last week we lost one of my favorite illustrators.  Much has been written about the wonderful Leo Dillon, he was an artist in the true sense of the word.   His illustrations and stories were complete works of art.  I thought today I would recommend one of my favorite books of his.


Rap a Tap Tap: Here's Bojangles, Think of That! by Leo and Diane Dillon is one of my favorite books because I am a big fan of Mr Bojangles ever since my brother and I used to listen to the song about him.   When this book came out I was thrilled because I got to introduce a favorite performer of mine to a new audience.   I loved how the book was fun to read and still convey information.   It is a great picture book biography, not wordy and cumbersome to read aloud.   I have always loved the richness of the Dillon's artwork, they were like paintings in a book.   This was a different style but no less wonderful and rich but in a simpler way.   It represents the time that is described in the book.   The Dillon's are masters because
they were able to adapt their art to the story.

 Leo Dillon may no longer be with us but his work will last forever. 

No comments:

Post a Comment