Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The Lonely Book by Kate Bernheimer illustrated by Chris Sheban

Sometimes I come across books that at first glance seems to be catering to a specific audience.   I read books that scream ----library or teacher books.  What I mean by that is sometimes an author, consciously or unconsciously writes a book that speaks to librarians or teachers sometimes to parents more than children.   When I first saw today's book  that is what I first thought.....but I was soooo WRONG.

The Lonely Book by Kate Bernheimer and illustrated so sweetly by Chris Seban brought me back to the books of my childhood.   I loved books just like the little girl in the story does.   As I read it I realized that it isn't a story time book but a "read by yourself in a quiet corner"  book....

It reminded me of two of my favorite books:  The Little House by Virginia Lee Burton (which I apparently have talked about before but have never written about it.) and The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams. I love how it is the little girl's father who brings her to the library.   I love how the story and pictures flow.   This is a book that has a classic feel but at the same time seems new and refreshing.   I would give this book to any child who loves to read.  I think this is the perfect book for grown ups too....the ones who always felt that books were their best friends...



No comments:

Post a Comment