Friday, November 29, 2013

The Wizard of Oz: The Official 75th Anniversary Companion by Jay Scarfone, William Stillman, Caren Marsh-Doll

Since the holiday season has officially begun I thought I would recommend a book for the whole family.  I loved watching the Wizard of Oz on TV when I was young.  It is one of my favorite memories growing up.  In fact I loved it so much it took me years to read the actual book.  When I did read it --- one slow Saturday night in the bookstore----I was amazed that except for a few details (silver shoes instead of ruby slippers and a few different  characters) the film was pretty close to the book.


The Wizard of Oz: The Official 75th Anniversary Companion by Jay Scarfone, William Stillman and Caren Marsh- Doll is a commemorative collectible book that has new stories from cast and crew plus beautiful stills from the film and previously unpublished information and photos from the making of the film.  This is a must have for any Wizard of Oz fan.  

If there is a child who loves the movie this would be a great time to introduce the original Frank L. Baum book....here is one my favorite editions that I have written about before:




The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by Frank L. Baum and illustrated by W.W. Denslow






There is also this favorite of mine that I wrote about from the master Pop-Up artist Robert Sabuda:




The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by Frank L. Baum art by Robert Sabuda 






These make great gifts and would be a wonderful way to help with Small Business Saturday tomorrow....bookstores are like home to me which makes me think of Dorothy her famous line:

"There's no place like home...." 

No comments:

Post a Comment