Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Flashback Tuesday: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by Frank L. Baum


I saw in the news today that The Wizard of Oz is coming out in Blue Ray HD. Not sure what that means because I do not have a HD TV but apparently they remastered the movie to look even better. It has been 70 years since the move has come out and it is still as timeless as ever. I have always loved this movie to the extent that I am always disconcerted when people make fun of it. I remember going to see it when it was re-released to the movie theaters when I was little.


Since I have always loved the movie it was always hard for me to read the book. I never read it because I didn't want to be disappointed or have the book take away my experience of the movie. I was really really wrong. The book is wonderful---no pun intended.


I was working in the bookstore one night when I picked the book up and started to peruse it. Needless to say it was a quiet night with not alot of customers. So quiet in fact I pretty much finished it that evening. I couldn't believe I had waited so long to read this classic. I was amazed about how much of the book was actually in the movie. Don't get me wrong there are differences and omissions but they are understandable and do not take away from either experience. The big thing that got me was that the movie presents the story as a dream and the book states the world of Oz is real. I like that....it really defines the difference and makes me appreciate both.


A few weeks ago I wrote about Robert Sabuda's Pop-up version, today I want to suggest reading the original. I am also excited because Imagine Books will be coming out with a book called "Over the Rainbow" in Spring of 2010.....a beautifully illustrated version of the song from this favorite movie, sung by Judy Collins. When it comes out I will be talking about it again.


So go read the original story, heck read the whole series ..... then watch the movie and be transported to a magical place. Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment