Wednesday, December 4, 2013

O Christmas Tree: Its History and Holiday Traditions by Jacqueline Farmer illustrated by Joanne Friar

Tonight is the annual lighting of the Rockefeller Christmas Tree.  This was always one of my favorite events.  I really just like the actual moment when the countdown begins and the lights go on.  My Dad worked in the area when I was growing up so I have some very fond memories of going to see the tree.


O Christmas Tree: It's History and Holiday Traditions by Jacqueline Farmer and illustrated by Joanne Friar is the perfect book to  recommend today because it is a beautifully illustrated history of how the Christmas Tree came to be.  It isn't a story book per se but explains how and why we now put Christmas trees up in our homes.  I also like how there is a whole section that talks about growing Christmas trees and a listing with pictures of the different kinds of trees.  This is a perfect book to just have out at the holidays....something for a child to look at and learn from in a quiet sort of way.  I know so many children who love information type books...this book combines information with the wonder of the season.  A family tradition type of book.  



No comments:

Post a Comment