Monday, December 16, 2013

The Smallest Gift of Christmas written and illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds




The Smallest Gift of Christmas written and illustrated by Peter H. Reynolds brings back memories of some Christmas mornings from when I was a kid.  How many times did I  have an idea of what I wanted only to be a bit disappointed.  The expectations were always grander than reality.  I love how the main character, Roland, makes wish after wish for the biggest present he can get. How he comes to realize that maybe small is perfect after all.  Didn't we always do the same...always wishing. I love how beautifully Mr Reynolds tells the story in his simple phrasing and wonderful illustrations.  The message is not a new one but it is one that all children (and some adults) need to be reminded of once in awhile.  I teared up at the last image....such a perfect story to read at this time of year. This is the perfect story time book.  This is also the kind of book that can be given as a family gift....even if there are no children in the house...

No comments:

Post a Comment