Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Flashback Tuesday: Degas and the Little Dancer by Laurence Anholt

While wandering around the library I saw some books on display about Edgar Degas, the famed artist.   I realized that today is his birthday.  I remembered a book I loved that told the story of his famous sculpture, Little Dancer of Fourteen Years.   Sadly my favorite book about Degas was not on display...luckily I can recommend it here today~

Degas and the Little Dancer (Anholt's Artists Books for Children)

Degas and the Little Dancer by Laurence Anholt has always been one of my favorite biographical picture books.   It came out in a time when there weren't that many books like it.  This beautifully illustrated picture book told the true story of how a famed artist created an iconic sculpture.  When I was in the stores I liked to read it during a ballet story time, especially if there were older children in the group.  I also always recommend it to anyone looking for a ballet book as a gift.   It is the perfect book for little ballerinas everywhere.   A classic book that spawned others but is still timeless today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment