Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Special Flashback Wed: The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin

I have been a little lax in posting lately.   Basically because I am in vacation mode.   The sun has been beautiful here on Long Beach Island and it is hard to use the computer on the beach.  As this is a family vacation I have also been spending my nights eating and playing games.   Last night we played "Clue" with the kids.   I needed to relearn the rules myself as I hadn't played in ages.   The game board is much fancier than I remembered.   While we were going over the instructions my nephew JoJo wanted to know if it was like The Westing Game.....a book he said he liked a lot.   I liked how he knew to compare the two.  


The Westing Game (Puffin Modern Classics)


The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin is the perfect book for the curious young reader.   It is a great mystery book.   It is the kind of book I read when I was an adult but knew my younger self would have loved it.   Since it is summer it makes a great summer reading title.  Since it won the Newbery award it should be on most school reading lists.  



If your child has already read this then they should try some books by Blue Balliett: Chasing Vemeer, The Wright 3, The Calder Game, and The Danger Box.  These are great mysteries too!

As to our game of Clue last night, while JoJo tried really hard and was very enthusiastic my nephew Alex came out the winner in both of the games we played.   I sense a rematch in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment