Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Flashback Tuesday: Fireflies by Julie Brinckloe

I have been dog sitting my brother's dog for the past few days.  He is very cute and I love taking care of him but I forget that he needs to go out at night.    Last night as I took him out I saw something I had forgotten about~ an abundance of fireflies blinking in the night.   I was immediately sent back in time to childhood summers of staying out late and chasing fireflies.   I can still see my Dad punching holes in jar lids so we could catch the fireflies.   All night long I tried to remember a book I used to read to kids during the summer when I came across today's book.
Fireflies (Reading Rainbow)

Fireflies by Julie Brinckloe is definitely a flashback to another time.   I love the soft illustrations and sweet easy to read story of catching fireflies.   It is a sweet sentimental story that is soothing to read on a warm summer night.   The cover is what I remember and what I saw last night while the fireflies flew~

Here are some other books on fireflies that are also great to read....

Ten Flashing Fireflies by Philemon Sturges and illustrated by Ann Vojtech--sweet illustrations
The Very Lonely Firefly by Eric Carle ----it's Eric Carle, what more can I say!
Sam and the Firefly by PD Eastman (a personal favorite)
Firefly Named Torchy by Benard Waber ---a fun book if you can find a copy....

These are just a few titles I like...gotta run and go find a jar to poke holes in....just in case....

No comments:

Post a Comment