Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Flashback Tuesday: The Best-Loved Doll by Rebecca Caudill Illustrated by Elliot Gilbert

The Best-Loved Doll (An Owlet Book)

It is amazing how long it has been since the first Toy Story came out in movies.   In the third movie that just came out the little boy from the first movie is now going to college.   I loved the concept of Toy Story that toys came alive and interacted with each other when no one was around.   As with most things in life this is not a new idea.

The Best-Loved Doll by Rebecca Caudill and illustrated by Elliot Gilbert was first published in the early 1960's.   I discovered at a Scholastic Book Fair at my school (many years later) where it immediately became one of my favorite childhood books.   I think I also liked it because it was dedicated to "Ann Elizabeth" which is my sister's name.   This is the story of a little girl who gets invited to a birthday party and is told she should bring her favorite doll.   She decides to take her oldest and raggiest doll and is rewarded for the love she shows for it.   It ties into Toy Story because whenever the the little girl is not in the room the dolls talk to each other.   It is probably one of the sweetest books I have ever read but it is not overly sappy.   I think of this book whenever I see an umbrella in a drink because it reminds me of an image in the book where all the dolls are placed around a table with tiny drinks and umbrellas.

This is a classic book that is perfect for any little girl who loves her dolls and has a great imagination.   A must have book in my eyes.  

No comments:

Post a Comment