Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Flashback Tuesday: A Visit to William Blake's Inn: Poems for Innocent and Experienced Travelers by Nancy Willard illust by Alice & Martin Provensen

Yesterday the ALA announced the Caldecott and Newbery awards at their bi-annual meeting.   There were other awards as well but these are the two most prestigious.  I haven't read this years Newbery Award winner but I have added it to my list of books to read this year.  So since I usually write about a classic or older title on Tuesdays I thought I would write about one of my favorite award winning titles.

A Visit to William Blake's Inn: Poems for Innocent and Experienced Travelers

A Visit to William Blake's Inn: Poems for Innocent and Experienced Travelers by Nancy Willard  and illustrated by Alice & Martin Provensen is an amazing book because it is the only children's book to win a Newbery Award AND get a Caldecott Honor at the same time.    I love how Nancy Willard introduces a classic poet to children by weaving a story around his poems.   The illustrations match the story/ poems in such a way that they can transport us to a different time. This is a great book to read aloud on cozy kind of day....maybe a snow day.  This is a wonderful book and a must have for anyone's bookshelf---young or old.

No comments:

Post a Comment