Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Flashback Tuesday: Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry

I haven't been posting lately because I have been busy with my other endeavor ~ The Savory Garden~ the veggie burger business I have with my sister-in-law.  Our farmer's market season had started again and we were busy preparing and cooking all last week.  


Today's book wasn't what I originally planned but as they say "plans change"....I was so excited to read that Beau Bridges in working on making The Giver into a film.  I think that is wonderful.   While we are all familiar with this Newbery Award winning title and it's iconic cover.....I think Mr Bridges will be perfect for the role.  

Gathering Blue
Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry is what some consider part of "The Giver" trilogy.   I always felt there was a connection but it is a subtle connection.   I loved this story just as much...if not more....because I could identify more with the characters.   It is also a futuristic society only this time it is more primitive but no less different or challenging than the world we live in.   Like I said I don't feel it is sequel to " The Giver" it is a perfect companion piece----these books are stories of two completely opposite ways of living....but both are destructive.  Since most children read "The Giver" in school I think Gathering Blue would make a perfect summer reading title....beautifully written and lovely to read....maybe some day Beau Bridges will want to make a film of this also....

No comments:

Post a Comment