Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Flashback Tuesday: Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman Illus by S.D. Schindler

According to my food guru over at Foodimentary.com today is National Pumpkin Pie Day!   I love pumpkin pie....I always think it makes the best breakfast.   In honor of that I thought it would be a perfect day to start talking Halloween with a book that has fall written all over it.

Big Pumpkin


Big Pumpkin by Erica Silverman and illustrated by S.D. Schindler has always been one of my many favorite Halloween books.   The illustrations are comical and when read aloud the reaction is priceless.  I mentioned this book in passing last Halloween but I am always glad to recommend a book again.   This is the classic story of a witch who grows a really "Big Pumpkin" but can't get it off the vine so that she can take it home and make pumpkin pie.   It takes all her friends---a ghost, a vampire, a mummy and even a bat to help her.   This wonderful read aloud should be a perennial Halloween story....it isn't scary but fun.   I suggest settling in having a read while the pie is in the oven....have a piece for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment