Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Goblin and the Empty Chair by Mem Fox illustrated by Leo & Diane Dillon

Yesterday morning while I was video chatting with my sister, she told me that she had a new favorite picture book.   She made me look up Mem Fox while we were still chatting ....we "watched" together a video of the author reading her book.   To say it was one of the most beautiful stories I had heard in a long time is an understatement.   I want to thank my sister Ann for introducing me to this wonderful book.
The Goblin and the Empty Chair

The Goblin and the Empty Chair by Mem Fox and illustrated by award winning duo Leo & Diane Dillon is the story of  a goblin who is ashamed of who he is so he hides himself away.  We go on to meet a family who is very sad but whom the Goblin helps.   I found the story uplifting and inspiring.   It is a new kind of fairy tale, one that speaks to all of us of compassion and love.   We never really do see the Goblins face but see his heart instead.    The illustrations are perfect for this special book, I can't imagine anyone but the Dillons doing it justice.  This is the kind of book for all ages.  I would give to children to foster conversation.  I would give this book  to adults to help them understand grief and how we come to terms with the sadness in our lives.   Mem Fox has written a powerful story that speaks to the world.

1 comment: