Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Before There Was Mozart: The Story of Joseph Boulogne, Chevalier de Saint-George by Lesa Cline-Ransome illus by James Ransome

Before There Was Mozart: The Story of Joseph Boulogne, Chevalier de Saint-George

Before There Was Mozart written by Lesa Cline-Ransome and illustrated by James Ransome is the kind of book I like to find.   I love to discover a story I have never heard before.   It is the story of a man born of a slave mother and plantation owning father who mesmerizes Europe with his incredible gift of music.  I have always admired James Ransome's illustrations and this is a great example of his work.   The writing too is beautifully done, I love how how each section is titled as a "movement" to bring out the music aspect of the book.   This has also made me want to listen to some of this unknown artist's musical compositions ----as much as I love to find a new story I also love to discover new music.    

No comments:

Post a Comment