Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Flashback Tuesday: Peppe the Lamplighter by Elisa Bartone illus by Ted Lewin

Peppe the Lamplighter

Peppe the Lamplighter by Elisa Bartone and beautifully illustrated by Ted Lewin is a wonderful immigration story that takes place in the early days of the 20th century.  This book always reminded me of my Dad's family.   Well actually both my parent's families.  I was reminded of this book at a family wedding this weekend.  Talking to my cousins made me think of all the times I visited Greenwich Village growing up.   My father's family settled in NY at around the same time this book takes place. My Mom's family also started out in this same area before moving to Brooklyn when my Mom was a very young.   Plus I always liked that Peppe had 8 sisters while my Mom had six girls in her family.  This book is a nice way to teach children about living in a time before electricity, when the nights were lit up by gas lamps that gave a hazy glow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment