Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Flashback Tuesday: The Tale of Custard the Dragon by Ogden Nash illus by Lynn Munsinger



Since today is the last Tuesday of Poetry Month I thought I would recommend one of my favorite childhood poems that was made into a picture book.  


The Tale of Custard the Dragon by Ogden Nash is a poem I have always loved.   I remember reading it in my sister Ann's big poetry book over and over again.   I can still recite the first line by heart:

Belinda lived in a little white house,
With a little black kitten and a little gray mouse,
And a little yellow dog and a little red wagon,
And a realio, trulio, little pet dragon.


The thing I love most is that Mr Nash wrote about a strong female character before it was fashionable.   It has all the makings of an epic story including daring do and pirates.   It is such a fun story that I love to read aloud.   Lynn Munsinger totally captures the characters perfectly and I was thrilled when this book first came out.   To me it is a must have type of book, to be read again and again!

No comments:

Post a Comment