Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Penderwicks On Gardam Street by Jeanne Birdsall





The Penderwicks on Gardam Street (Penderwicks (Quality))
A few years ago I read a wonderful book that made me feel nostalgic for my childhood.  The Penderwicks: a Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy by Jeanne Birdsall reminded me of books I read as a kid.   I remember thinking that it was a truly timeless story that really didn't speak of any particular time, except for the the occasional passing reference to a computer or TV or something like that.   It is the kind of story that is like comfort food....it instantly makes you feel better.

I knew that Ms Birdsall had written a sequel to this wonderful book but hadn't had a chance to read it.  I finally picked up a copy from the library and sat down to indulge in some "comfort" time.

The Penderwicks On Gardam Street by Jeanne Birdsall is just as wonderful as it's predecessor, although a bit more predictable.   Not that predictable is bad, because when it comes to comfort we need that predictablitiy.   It really is a sweet story that needed to be told because it was nice to get some background on this really sweet family.   So if you know any child who needs a little whimsy and comfort with some fun tossed in....this is the book for them.   It is a young reader but would also make a good "chapter" a night for a younger child.   A must read~

No comments:

Post a Comment