Friday, April 30, 2010

Happy Arbor Day!

              Arbor Day Square                          We Planted a Tree


Today is Arbor Day~I remember this used to be such a big thing when I was a kid.   Now I only realized it because I was looking for something to write about.   It is still celebrated and there is a great website devoted to it ( http://www.arborday.org/)  but I don't think it gets the press it deserves.  I always liked the idea of planting a tree to commemorate an event or person, it is very uplifting.   I discovered two new books that I think would be perfect for today and would be a nice way to remember what this day stands for.

We Planted a Tree by Diane Muldrew illus by Bob Staake (2010 from Golden books).   This book shows people from different parts of the world planting trees.  It talks about the benefits trees provide us in a beautiful poetic way.   It is not preachy or boring~but very sweet.   I love the illustrations....it is said that it is a modern style by I feel like they are almost retro with an art deco sensibility.   I just love them.  

Arbor Day Square by Kathryn O. Galbraith illus by Cyd Moore  is the perfect book for today ( 2010 from Peachtree Publishers).  Usually books like that are specific to a theme can seem institutional and not something for everyday story time with your kids.   This is an exception. This sweet story about a girl and her father is simple and pointed but a joy to read.  The illustrations really evoke a time and place much more simpler than today.  

No comments:

Post a Comment